San Antonio man surrenders in 55-year old murder case

 

SAN ANTONIO (AP) - A man wanted in the 1962 fatal shooting of a 26-year-old man killed in his driveway just before Christmas has surrendered.

Pete Ortiz Jr., now 75, surrendered Wednesday to state district court Judge Frank Castro. He was released on bond but must wear an ankle monitor.

KSAT television station reports Castro asked when where Ortiz had been "all these 55 years." Castro replied: "I work all the time."

He was indicted on a charge of murder with malice after the death of Joe Ovalle on Dec. 22, 1962.

Ortiz's attorney, John Kuntz, said his client was tired of having the arrest warrant haunting him. He says Ortiz was riding with the man later convicted and sentenced to prison in the slaying but did not participate.

 
 

Recent Stories You Might Have Missed