Sister of man shot by Minneapolis police: Family wants peace

Protestors demonstrate outside the 4th Precinct parking lot in Minneapolis Sunday, Nov. 15, 2015. Community members and activists demanded Monday that Minneapolis police identify an officer who shot a black man suspected in an assault and release video of the incident. Witnesses to the shooting just after midnight Sunday said the man was handcuffed when he was shot, sparking protests and an overnight encampment outside a police precinct on the city's north side. (Mark Vancleave/Star Tribune via AP)

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - The latest in the investigation into the fatal shooting of a black man by Minneapolis police that has sparked days of demonstrations. (all times local):

12 p.m.

The sister of an unarmed black man who was fatally shot by Minneapolis police during a confrontation says the family appreciates the protests on behalf of her brother but isn't participating.

Javille Burns' brother, 24-year-old Jamar Clark, died after being shot in the head early Sunday by police who were responding to a domestic violence call. Some onlookers have alleged that Clark was handcuffed when he was shot, which police have disputed. They say Clark was shot when he scuffled with officers.

Burns says her family wants justice for brother, but also wants peace. She also says he was a peaceful, despite things being said about him.

Protesters have demanded that investigators release any video they have of the shooting, but investigators say they won't while the probe is ongoing.

10:45 a.m.

Authorities have identified two Minneapolis police officers involved in the weekend shooting of an unarmed black man.

The Bureau of Criminal Apprehension says they are Mark Ringgenberg and Dustin Schwarze. The state agency says both have been police officers for seven years, including 13 months with the Minneapolis department.

The BCA is investigating circumstances surrounding the death of 24-year-old Jamar Clark, who died Monday after being shot once in the head. Police say Clark scuffled with officers who had been called to the scene of a suspected domestic assault. And they say Clark, a suspect in that assault, was interfering with emergency workers trying to treat the victim.

Some community members have alleged that Clark was handcuffed when he was shot. Police have disputed it.

A federal civil rights investigation has also been launched.

This story has been changed to correct Officer Mark Ringgenberg's first name. The Associated Press, based on information from the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, erroneously referred to him as Mike Ringgenberg in the initial version.

___

8:10 a.m.

The head of the Minneapolis police union says two officers involved in the fatal shooting of an unarmed black man have given statements to state investigators on the confrontation that led to the death of 24-year-old Jamar Clark on Sunday.

Union president Lt. Bob Kroll says the officers met Tuesday night with the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension. Kroll says he hopes the investigation moves quickly now.

Some community members say Clark was handcuffed when he was shot. Police say Clark was interfering with paramedics who were treating an injured woman, and have disputed that he was handcuffed.

Kroll says he hopes people who are making the handcuff allegations give statements to the BCA, and that they are charged with a crime if the statements turn out to be false.

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Recommended for you

Load comments