Whitehouse gas leak scene cleared, evacuees return to businesses

 

A Whitehouse gas leak prompted the precautionary evacuation of a business park and the temporary closure of a road on Thursday.

The Whitehouse Volunteer Fire Department was called to the 1500 block of Texas Highway 110 before noon.

Officials with the Whitehouse Volunteer Fire Department said the pressure release valve on a gas line opened, but did not close like it was supposed to do.

As a precaution, several businesses were evacuated along with one home.

Jim Russell Road also was closed temporarily from Texas Highway 110 to Rhones Quarter Road.

Atmos Energy lowered the pressure on the gas line, causing the valve to close, and people were allowed back in their buildings just after noon.

The company was expected to remain on scene to make sure the line continues working properly, and gas service will continue for the area.

Whitehouse Fire, Smith County Emergency Services District No. 2 and the Texas Department of Public Safety responded to the call.

TWITTER: @TMTFaith

Digital Content Manager

Faith Harper is an East Texas native working for her hometown newspaper. She specializes in digital content for the Tyler Morning Telegraph. In her spare time, she loves tacos, road trips and is currently learning to sail.

Recommended for you