UT Health Northeast and the Tyler Parks and Recreation Department will hold "Spring into Good Health," a family event to be held from 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday at the Glass Recreation Center, 501 W. 32nd St. in Tyler.
The event commemorates Colon Cancer Awareness Month by walking through a giant inflatable colon. Participants will be able to see what colon cancer looks like and learn what you can do to help prevent it.
Colon cancer is the second-leading cause of all cancer deaths in the United States, claiming about 52,000 lives each year. However, studies show that colon cancer screenings save lives because they identify precancerous growths and catch colon cancer early, when it can be successfully treated.
The "Ask the Doctor" booth will answer questions about colon cancer during this event.
Other activities include:
· Zumba (beginning at 9 a.m.; additional fees may apply)
· 3-point basketball shoot-out
· Pediatric asthma screening
· Blood pressure and glucose screening
· My Texas Benefits registration (SNAP, TANF, CHIP and Medicaid)
· Games and face painting for children
· Door-prize drawings every half hour
There is no cost for the event, but registration is required. To register, go to www.springintogoodhealth.eventbrite.com or in Spanish at www.uthealth.eventbrite.com. Attendees also may register at the door.
For more information, call 903-877-8632 or email email@example.com.