We all have busy schedules filled with to-do lists, deadlines and responsibilities, but your health shouldn’t suffer through this. Sometimes just the right snack will help get you through your day. Follow these tips for healthy and easy snacks:
• Plan: Spend 15 minutes on the weekend packing snacks for the upcoming week. This can be as simple as dividing snacks in plastic baggies and prewashing your fruit.
• Balance it out: We always recommend making sure to balance your snacks. This means, it’s a good idea to include at least two food groups — think carbs, fats and protein — with your snacks.
• Focus on fiber: Many people struggle to meet the daily recommended intake for fiber, which is about 25 grams. We need fiber because it can help us feel full, improve gut health and strengthen our GI tract.
• Don’t forget your good fats: Avocados, olive oil and other nuts and seeds help us feel full while balancing out our blood sugar levels along the way.
• Don’t eat out of the bag: If you’re snacking at home, try to grab a small bowl and fill it instead of eating right out of the bag or container.
• Keep it simple: When it comes to snacking, less is more as far as ingredients are concerned.
• Take it with you. If you are on the go, it’s important to have snacks handy for when you need them.
• Choose snacks you enjoy: At the end of the day, the snacks you choose should be fun and satisfying.
For more information, contact Claudann Jones, Smith County Extension agent for family and community health, at 903-590-2980, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Like our Facebook page: Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service Smith County.