Just one employee is working at the Smith County Elections Office after another tested positive for COVID-19 and six are waiting on pending test results.
A recent Tweet by U.S. Rep. Louie Gohmert, R-Tyler, revealed the representative was in Philadelphia on Friday afternoon as ballots are being counted for the presidential election.
Eight-year-old Olivia Mackrell, a third-grader at All Saints Episcopal School, had fun casting her ballot Tuesday during her school’s mock election while learning that everyone has a voice.
Incumbent Republican state Sen. Bryan Hughes stepped outside of Rick’s on the Square in Tyler, looked up to the sky and exhaled Tuesday night.
In a landslide victory, Matt Schaefer was named to a fifth term as the District 6 Representative in the Texas House on Tuesday evening.
U.S. Rep. Louie Gohmert, R-Tyler, has won his eighth term in Congress, defeating Democrat Hank Gilbert.
Smith County's first numbers of the evening are in, with early voting and mail-in ballot totals currently reported as follows:
While 16-year-old Kairecia Nichols cannot yet vote, she was happy to spend Election Day making sure that the dozens of Smith County residents who filtered into Bell Elementary could.
It's looking to be a smooth start to Election Day here in Smith County, with few lines at any of the 35 polling locations, and clear skies and mild temperatures for those who may have to wait outside before casting their ballots.
State and National Election News
The Texas voting bills that prompted state Democrats' flight to Washington this week include a raft of tweaks and changes to the state's election code. Some are dramatic, others highly technical, and a couple could make life easier for voters.
- 3-year-old dead after being found unresponsive in vehicle in Tyler
- Hawaii governor restates plan for when COVID-19 restrictions will be fully lifted
- Coaching School: As Texas population grows, UIL may add Class 7A
- 3 men arrested on capital murder, victims identified in Cherokee County quadruple homicide
- Police investigating death at Tyler Legacy High School
- Cherokee County Sheriff’s Office continues investigation into shooting that killed 4
- Texas House Democrats flee state on private jets to prevent election reforms
- Suspects in East Texas quadruple homicide used gun stolen from victim in shootings, documents show
- Winona ISD announces death of student
- Tyler ISD selects new principal for Hogg Middle School