CARTHAGE — Tenaha proved once again Friday night to have too much talent and offensively firepower for Mount Enterprise. 

The Tigers took advantage of turnovers and good field position throughout the contest and steamrolled the Wildcats 55-6 in a Class 1A, Division II quarterfinal matchup at Bulldog Stadium on Friday.

Tenaha ran for 268 yards in the contest, led by Cobe Carraway’s 108 yards. Texas Tech commit Reginald Davis ran for 44 yards, including a 23-yard loss, and passed for 66 yards on five completions. 

Mount Enterprise’s loss to Tenaha was only its second of the year; the first came back on Oct. 15 against the Tigers in district play.

The District 12-1A rematch didn’t bode well for Mount Enterprise from the beginning. The Wildcats received the opening kickoff, but started their first drive from their own eight. 

Mount Enterprise set up to punt on fourth-and-one, but  attempted to pass for a first down. The pass fell incomplete and left the Tigers only 17 yards from the end zone. Davis took the first play to the Wildcats’ one. Carraway ran the next play in for the Tigers’ first touchdown.

Tenaha forced the Wildcats to punt on their next possession, after a kickoff return to the Tigers’ 42. Davis moved Tenaha into Mount Enterprise territory on a 36-yard run. Chavis Gregory took the next play 35 yards for the Tenaha score.

The Wildcats didn’t back down following the Tigers’ second touchdown. Hunter Ammons moved Mount Enterprise down into Tenaha territory and eventually inside the 10. Unfortunately, the drive stalled there and ended with the Wildcats turning the ball over on downs.

Tenaha punted on their following possession, but an interception by Davis set up the Tigers’ third touchdown of the contest. A nine-yard pass from Davis to Demon Horton set up Gregory for an 11-yard score.

The Tigers would score two more times in the second quarter. Tenaha blocked a punt and scored on a 28-yard run by Shaquille Mitchell with 3:28 left in the first half. Another interception led to a 10-yard touchdown run by Carraway.

Tenaha continued the rout in the second half scoring twice in the third quarter and once in the fourth. Gregory scored both Tiger touchdowns in the third quarter with a seven-yard run and a 27-yard fumble return.

Mount Enterprise posted its lone points of the contest at the end of the third quarter. Chance Young, playing for an injured Ammons, capped off a 12-play drive with a two-yard score.

Tenaha scored for the final time on its next possession. Carraway ran the ball on all five of the Tigers’ plays and scored on a 48-yard run.

“The defense played really well,” Tenaha head coach Terry Ward said. “We didn’t put up the numbers and yards, but we did put up the points. Defense had a great goal line stand … we didn’t capitalize on it, but we did flip the field. I’m very proud of our kids tonight.”

Tenaha held Mount Enterprise to 160 yards rushing and forced four turnovers. Blake Chapmen led the Wildcats with 46 yards rushing. Anthony Frazier followed with 45 yards on the ground

“If we’re going to have two losses we hope it’s from the state champion,” Mount Enterprise coach Scott Holzhauer said. “I thought the kids played well, we just ran into someone a little bit better than us.”

Tenaha stays undefeated on the year and moves on to face Burton next week in the state semifinals. Burton defeated Falls City 55-30 Friday night in Buda.


Recent Stories You Might Have Missed