If the Family Feud game show were to ask 100 people, “Name a holiday that falls in February,” I’m guessing the most popular survey responses would be “Valentine’s Day,” “President’s Day” or possibly even “Groundhog Day.” If a contestant buzzed in with “Fake Mustache Day,” it would most likely count as a strike against them.
Nevertheless, that IS a holiday traditionally celebrated this month - and not just once, but twice! Although the rest of the world observes “International Fake Mustache Day” on Feb. 3, the United States doesn’t celebrate “National Fake Mustache Day” until Feb. 24. That’s this Friday!
In honor of the occasion, I’ve compiled a hipster quiz I call “Are You in the Know about the Mo?” Take the test to see just how ’stache savvy you are:
1. Which US President did NOT wear a mustache?
A. Chester Arthur
B. Grover Cleveland
C. William McKinley
D. Theodore Roosevelt
2. Why did Hitler choose the particular style mustache he wore?
A. He was trying to cover up a cleft lip.
B. He was imitating a famous actor of his time.
C. He was drawing attention away from crooked teeth.
D. It allowed his gas mask to fit more snugly.
3. What style mustache was worn by the magician in the Christmas classic, Frosty the Snowman?
B. fu manchu
4. The average man with a mustache touches it how many times per day?
5. A mustache is capable of absorbing what percentage of its own weight in water?
6. Which of The Beatles grew his mustache for the pragmatic reason of covering up the swollen lip he got in a moped accident?
A. John Lennon
B. Paul McCartney
C. George Harrison
D. Ringo Starr
7. Who wrote, “To a brave man, honour is dearer than life; and to the major, his whiskers were dearer than honour itself!”?
C. Charles Dickens
D. Mark Twain
8. Which game show host stopped sporting his iconic mustache in 2001?
A. Steve Harvey (Family Feud)
B. Alex Trebek (Jeopardy!)
C. Pat Sajak (Wheel of Fortune)
D. Peter Marshall (Hollywood Squares)
9. Which mustached cartoon character works as a plumber?
A. Ned Flanders
B. Yosemite Sam
C. Mario Mario
D. Dick Dastardly
10. According to the Guinness Book of Records, the world’s longest mustache was how long?
A. 3 ft
B. 7 ft
C. 10 ft
D. 14 ft
If any of those trivia questions stumped you, you’ll find the answers below. Meanwhile, we sincerely hope you have a fantabulous Fake Mustache Day on Friday.
Although Jennifer Flanders has a husband and eight sons who sometimes treat facial hair growth as a competitive sport, she prefers them clean-shaven. For more fun mustache facts and a printable version of this quiz, follow this link: www.flandersfamily.info/web/hipster-quiz-i-mustache-you-10-questions/
Mustache Quiz Answers: 1-c 2-d 3-a 4-c 5-b 6-b 7-a 8-b 9-c 10-d