DALLAS (AP) — Several Dallas school trustees are calling for the installation of carbon monoxide detectors districtwide after high levels of the gas prompted the evacuation of an elementary school.
The Dallas Morning News reports a school nurse raised concerns earlier this week about the air quality in Lakewood Elementary, after two teachers and over a dozen students reported having headaches, dizziness and stomachaches.
The school evacuated its more than 800 students and its staff Tuesday when a contractor noticed high levels of carbon monoxide. The problem was traced to a furnace in the basement. Authorities later discovered a dead owl was clogging the ventilation system.
Gas levels were acceptable Wednesday morning, but remnants were present once a boiler was started. The school closed Wednesday amid safety concerns.
Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.