Two officers shot after traffic stop in California, suspect barricaded inside a house


An hours-long standoff continued Thursday morning in Fremont, Calif., where police say a man shot two police officers before eventually barricading himself inside a house.

The incident began on Wednesday afternoon with a traffic stop in Fremont, a city about 20 miles north of San Jose. A patrol officer there tried to stop a car, but the driver backed into the patrol car "and shots were fired," the Fremont police said in a statement. The patrol officer was injured and the person or people in the car ran away, police say.

About 10 minutes later, Fremont police said they again encountered at least one person from the car about half a mile away. Again, multiple gunshots were fired and a second police officer was wounded.

The two officers who were shot were both taken to trauma centers. By Wednesday night, both were out of surgery; one was critically injured, while the other was in stable condition, authorities said.

It's "scary to have people who are in our community just randomly shooting at officers," Geneva Bosques, a spokeswoman for the Fremont police, said during a briefing with reporters. "That's not normal behavior. It's not something that we have to deal with."

Police initially said they had at least one main suspect and potentially more, as tactical teams fanned out and a manhunt began that stretched on into the night.

They later said they were searching for an armed man wearing a San Francisco Giants shirt, and asked residents to shelter in place while police went from house to house.

Early Thursday morning, police said they had found their suspected gunman -- barricaded inside a home in Fremont.

The Alameda County Sheriffs Office told reporters that the home didn't belong to the suspect and that the home's owner was not there, according to the Mercury News.

In the hours that followed, police say they began to negotiate with this man, while also trying to get him to go outside, tweeting: "We have put gas into the house. Suspect still inside and won't come out."

Residents who were not able to go home due to the search and barricade were being taken to a senior center in Fremont, where the Red Cross was helping to provide shelter.

Last week, a police officer in Massachusetts was fatally shot during a traffic stop that prompted a large manhunt there. When police tracked down the suspected attacker, he died in a shootout that also saw a state trooper injured.


Author Information:

Mark Berman covers national news for The Washington Post and anchors Post Nation, a destination for breaking news and stories from around the country.

(c) 2016, The Washington Post · Mark Berman · NATIONAL, COURTSLAW · Jun 02, 2016 - 7:54 AM



Recent Stories You Might Have Missed