Brush fire ignites after electrocuted bear cubs fall from power pole in southern California

 

BANNING, Calif. (AP) - Southern California fire officials say a brush fire was ignited when two bear cubs climbed a power pole, were electrocuted by high-voltage lines and their burning bodies fell to the ground.

Riverside County firefighters responded at 1:46 a.m. Tuesday to the blaze in Banning. They stopped the fire's spread at 1½ acres.

The mother bear and another cub were in the area while 63 firefighters worked the blaze, but they were not considered a threat.

State Fish and Wildlife authorities were called to deal with the dead cubs.

Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

 
 

Recent Stories You Might Have Missed