A man at a Halloween party was recovering from burns after accidently catching himself on fire Thursday.

Tyler Police Lt. Robert Plymail said the man was wearing a ghillie suit, which is a type of camouflage clothing that resembles heavy foliage, when ash from his cigarette caught his suit on fire.

The fire burned his arm and abdomen, and he was taken to the hospital.

Mike Frost, Tyler Fire Department district chief, said the man appears to have second and third-degree burns covering roughly 40 percent of his body. He was taken to a Tyler hospital before he was flown to a Dallas hospital, Frost said.

Preliminary reports suggest the man was smoking when his suit caught fire, Frost said.

Police radio traffic showed the incident happened in the 2100 block of Holly Leaf Drive in Tyler.










Recent Stories You Might Have Missed