LOUANNA CAMPBELL, email@example.com
The heat doesn't seem so bad when weathered over a plate full of award winning ribs, brisket, baked beans and coleslaw.
The Mother Clucker, The Ex-wife and the Brother-in-law are just some of the favorites that make their way onto the plates of ustomers on the patio of Stanley's Famous Pit Bar-B-Q.
The Tyler restaurant this week was named No. 2 of the top 50 barbecue joints in the nation by Business Insider magazine.
Business Insider magazine collaborated with Foursquare to rank the top barbeque joints across the country. Foursquare compiled what spots were getting the most praise across the U.S. in conjunction with the city-guide app which allows users to save and favorite the places they love to eat barbecue.
Stanley's Famous Pit Bar-B-Q owner Nick Pencis said he looks up to many of the places on the list. He considers the owners of those places his mentors and good friends in the barbecue industry.
“No matter what review or list we show up on, we’re going to focus on our customers and employees,” Pencis said. “Every single person at Stanley’s is going to do their best to make each other, Tyler and East Texas proud of what we do.”
Don Gentry and his wife, Judy, of Athens, make it a point to visit Stanley’s when they are in Tyler. When they learned of the No. 2 ranking, Mr. Gentry wondered who was No. 1 and why (Stanley’s) wasn’t No. 1.
“We time our doctor appointments so, we can eat lunch here,” Don Gentry said. “I don’t mind going to the doctor when I get to eat here.”
Another regular, Dallas Holm, said this was his third time eating at Stanley’s this week.
Visitors come from all over to enjoy the ribs and brisket that pit master Jonathan Shaw tends in the back.
“Consistency is the key,” Shaw said. “We cook up 54 to 100 racks of ribs every day and try not to sell out.”
The crew trims at least seven cases of ribs each day. All of the meat is seasoned with a salt and pepper mixture and a secret ingredient.
The secret to being a top rated barbeque joint in America, according to Stanley’s server Steve Stroud, is good food and good service.
Worker Tamra Hall agreed good service and consistency are key.
“I’m a 'do everything' here,” Ms. Hall said as she cleared tables. “I’ve worked here for two years. It’s a fun place. We have a great team, and we rock it every day.”
The full story from Business Insider is available at http://www.businessinsider.com/best-barbecue-joints-in-america-2016-6.
50. Blue Ribbon BBQ, Arlington, Massachusetts
49. Hutchins BBQ & Grill, McKinney, Texas
48. Phil's BBQ, San Diego, California
47. Midwood Smokehouse, Charlotte, North Carolina
46. Meat U Anywhere, Grapevine, Texas
45. Aptos St. BBQ, Aptos, California
44. 12 Bones Smokehouse, Asheville, North Carolina
43. Alamo BBQ, Richmond, Virginia
42. Ace Biscuit & Barbecue, Charlottesville, Virginia
41. Southern Soul Barbecue, St. Simon's Island, Georgia
40. Hard Eight BBQ, Coppell, Texas
39. Jethro's BBQ, Des Moines, Iowa
38. Freedmen's, Austin, Texas
37. Sweet Lucy's Smokehouse, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
36. Pecan Lodge, Dallas, Texas
35. JR's Barbecue, Culver City, California
34. La Barbecue Cuisine Texicana, Austin, Texas
33. Lockhart Smokehouse, Dallas, Texas
32. Sweet P's Barbeque & Soul House, Knoxville, Tennessee
31. Andy Nelson's Southern Pit Barbecue, Cockeysville, Maryland
30. Slows Bar-B-Q, Detroit, Michigan
29. Saw's BBQ, Homewood, Alabama
28. Chaps Pit Beef, Baltimore, Maryland
27. Franklin Barbecue, Austin, Texas
26. Prohibition Pig, Waterbury, Vermont
25. Fat Matt's Rib Shack, Atlanta, Georgia
24. Heirloom Market BBQ, Atlanta, Georgia
23. Little Miss BBQ, Phoenix, Arizona
22. Green Street Smoked Meats, Chicago, Illinois
21. RayRay's Hog Pit, Columbus, Ohio
20. Fette Sau, Brooklyn, New York
19. Smokin Pig BBQ, Pendleton, South Carolina
18. Community Q BBQ, Decatur, Georgia
17. Burn Co BBQ, Tulsa, Oklahoma
16. Central BBQ, Memphis, Tennessee
15. Mighty Quinn's BBQ, New York, New York
14. Pappy's Smokehouse, St. Louis, Missouri
13. Rudy's Country Store & Bar-B-Q, Austin, Texas
12. Hometown Bar-B-Que, Brooklyn, New York
11. John Mull's Meats and Road Kill Grill, Las Vegas, Nevada
10. The Joint, New Orleans, Louisiana
9. Q39, Kansas City, Missouri
8. Smoque BBQ, Chicago, Illinois
7. Bogart's Smokehouse, St. Louis, Missouri
6. The Salt Lick, Driftwood, Texas
5. Dinosaur Bar-B-Que, Rochester, New York
4. Fox Bros. Bar-B-Q, Atlanta, Georgia
3. Eli's BBQ, Cincinnati, Ohio
2. Stanley's Famous Pit Barbecue, Tyler, Texas
1. Joe's Kansas City Bar-B-Que, Kansas City, Kansas