After extinguishing an oven fire Wednesday afternoon, the Tyler Fire Department warned residents to be careful while preparing their Thanksgiving feast.
Firefighters were called to the 900 block of Nutbush Street in Tyler about 2 p.m., according to a news release from the department. Six units responded to the scene.
Initial crews said light smoke was coming from the home, and the fire originated from the homeowner’s oven. One person was home at the time.
The home sustained light smoke damage and no one was injured.
The department warned residents to be cautious while cooking at home.
“According to recent statistics from the National Fire Protection Association, cooking is the leading cause of home fires and home fire injuries,” the release states. “Two of every five home fires start in the kitchen, with unattended cooking accounting for 34 percent of these. (Residents) are encouraged to practice fire safety and prevention year-round, especially as we enter the holiday season.”
According to fire officials, the number of cooking fires increases significantly on Thanksgiving Day. Many people will be frying turkeys, which can be dangerous if done incorrectly.
The department issued a list of things to think about before heating up the fryer oil.
- Fryers should only be used outdoors away from buildings and combustible material. Never use in garages or on wooden decks.
- Look for newer fryers with sealed lids to prevent oil spills.
- Never leave the fryer unattended.
- Keep children and pets away from fryer at all times.
- The turkey should be completely thawed and patted dry prior to frying. Water and oil do not mix. This could cause the oil to splatter and boil over.
- Keep a fire extinguisher appropriate for oil fires close at hand and be familiar with how to operate it. Never use water to extinguish a grease fire.
- Always wear the appropriate clothing: shirts with long sleeves, full-length pants, and shoes that completely cover the feet. Safety goggles are also recommended.
- If a fire or accident does occur, call 911 immediately. Contact the Tyler Fire Marshal’s Office at 903-535-0005 for more information regarding fire prevention and safety.