Tyler’s Solid Waste Department and Keep Tyler Beautiful are sponsoring a free bulky item collection for the city’s residential customers (excluding multifamily home communities and businesses) from Sept. 30 through Oct. 4. Those participating in this campaign should place bulky items on the curb by Sept. 30.
After crews have collected on your street, do not place more bulky items on the curb. These items will be charged a special pickup fee.
Bulky items to be picked up at no charge include furniture, appliances, carpet, fence material, up to four noncommercial vehicle tires, old toys and other large items that would normally require a special fee. No liquid waste, limbs, brush, or tree stumps will be picked up. Paint must be dried out with oil dry or kitty litter.
There is no need to call the Solid Waste Office when bulky items are placed at the curb. However, items may be collected on a different day from regularly scheduled garbage collection.
For those city of Tyler residential customers who cannot participate during this campaign, many bulky items are accepted for a fee during regular business hours at the city of Tyler Recycling Center or they may call the Solid Waste Office to schedule a special pickup.
The Recycle Center, 418 N. Bois D’Arc Ave., is open from 7:15 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday and from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday.
The following items are accepted at the Recycling Center:
• Paper (newspapers, magazines, phone books, ads and office paper)
• Cardboard of any type (broken down)
• Plastic (rinsed and crushed #1 and #2 HDPE, lids removed; examples include water or soda bottles, milk jugs and detergent bottles)
• Glass, rinsed clear, green and brown glass bottles and jars with lids removed. No blue glass or mirrors
• Ink Cartridges
• Electronics (computers, TVs, monitors, cell phones, chargers and other portable devices)
• Metal (copper, aluminum, brass and steel)
• Aluminum cans (rinsed and crushed, no aluminum pie plates or tin)
• Household appliances including air conditioners and refrigerators do not require a disposal fee this week as long as you provide a current water bill
• Motor oil/hydraulic fluid (small quantities)
• Automotive batteries/antifreeze (small quantities)