Registration is open for the Fourth annual Susan G. Komen Tyler Ride for the Cure.

This year’s event, which is in memory of Jim Tarrant Sr., features live music, lunch, games, trail rides and a silent auction.

It will take place on Oct. 11 at Tarrant Ranch. The ranch is between Mount Selman and Bullard.

Everything starts with rider registration and check-in at 8:30 a.m., then breakfast provided by The Fatt Apple Catering in Lindale at 9 a.m. and the silent auction at 9:30 a.m., said Kathryn Martinez, executive director of the Susan G. Komen Tyler Affiliate.

She said the advanced 2.5-hour trail ride is scheduled for 10 a.m., followed by the fast-paced, gaited two-hour trail ride at 10:30 a.m. and the intermediate one-hour trail ride at 11 a.m.

After everyone returns from trail rides, lunch, provided by Outback Steakhouse, will be available, and there will be live entertainment, Ms. Martinez said.

This year’s Ride for the Cure also features adult games, such as horseshoes and a cornhole beanbag toss.

The silent auction closes at 2 p.m. and an awards ceremony is slated for 2:30 p.m.

Last year, the event drew more than 80 riders, and this year, Ms. Martinez hopes to have 100.

She said the goal, with any of the Komen fundraisers, is to bring cancer awareness to the area, and a lot of people who have participated in Ride for the Cure are from all across East Texas.

“We just want people to know what Komen does,” she said.

She said 75 percent of proceeds from the Ride for the Cure stay in East Texas and is used for things, such as breast cancer education and screenings, while the remaining 25 percent goes toward research.

The idea to bring the Ride for the Cure to Tyler came from breast cancer survivor Louise Hagen.

Ms. Martinez said Ms. Hagen, who chairs the event with help from volunteers, attended a Ride for the Cure event years ago in Northeast Texas, thought it was a neat idea and started working with the Susan G. Komen Tyler Affiliate to bring it here.

“As founder and 6-year survivor, my dream has always been for the Ride for the Cure to have 100 registered riders and raise $50,000 during one event. After last year’s success of 82 registered riders and netting over $30,000, I believe the 2014 Ride for the Cure will be my dream come true,” Ms. Hagen said in a news release.

The registration fee for adults and children age 12 to 17 is $30, which includes a T-shirt, goodie bag and lunch. Ms. Martinez said adults are asked to raise at least $200 in order to ride, but the fundraising requirement does not apply to children.

The registration fee is also $30 for ghost riders — those who don’t want to come out to the event but still want to support it, or someone who wants to come but doesn’t want to ride and still wants the T- shirt, she said.

Registration for guests is $15 and includes lunch but not a T-shirt.

Ride sponsorships and in-kind donations for the silent auction also are being accepted.

For more information about the event and registration, visit www.komen or call the local affiliate office at 903-561-6992.





Recent Stories You Might Have Missed