Komen Tyler Seeks Grant Applications
The Tyler Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the CureŽ is now accepting grant applications for 2011. The request for application is available for projects targeting services not otherwise available to medically underserved populations of Smith County, Komen Tyler Affiliate Media Relations Chair Ellen Peirce said.
Applications must be received on or before 5 p.m. March 1. Late submissions will not be accepted. The request for application and subsequent instructions may be found at www.komentyler.org
or by calling the Komen Tyler Affiliate at 903-561-6992.
Grant funding is made possible through the proceeds from the 2010 Komen Tyler Race for the CureŽ and Komen Tyler Affiliate. Komen Tyler expects to grant programs funding up to $285,000 for 2011.
Applications for breast cancer and breast health programs from nonprofit organizations, governmental agencies and educational institutions in Smith County are eligible for funding, Mrs. Peirce said.
"The promise of Susan G. Komen for the Cure is to save lives and end breast cancer forever by empowering people, ensuring quality care for all and energizing science to find the cures," she said. "Affiliates of Komen represent one of the nation's largest private funding sources for breast health and breast cancer screening, education, and treatment support programs."
The Komen Tyler Affiliate's local fundraising efforts have enabled it to fund projects such as the "Breast Health and Screening Initiative" a grant project to pay for breast diagnostic services for women who can't afford them through the Northeast Texas Public Health District.
In order to ensure the funds are making the greatest impact, the Komen Tyler Affiliate works with local medical experts and community leaders to conduct a comprehensive community needs assessments every two years. The assessment identifies specific, unmet breast health needs within Smith County and then directs the funding of the organization, Mrs. Peirce said.
Up to 75 percent of a Komen Affiliate's net income stays in the local community to fund breast cancer screening and education programs. The remaining net income (a minimum of 25 percent) supports the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Award and Research Grants Program, which funds groundbreaking breast cancer research, meritorious awards and educational and scientific programs around the world, she said.
Questions about the funding process should be directed to Jennifer Watkins, executive director, 903- 561-6992. Visit www.komentyler.org